You are expected to strictly follow the COVID guidelines issued by Government and Dewaswom applicable at the time of your visit.
How to reach Guruvayur
Guruvayur is 95 KM by road from Kochi by National Highway 66. You can travel by Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC), which operates several buses from Kochi to Guruvayur. Taxi charges from Kochi would be nearly Rs 2500. The drive would take less than 3 hours normally. Guruvayur is well connected by road to Coimbatore (4 hours) and Calicut (3 hours).
Guruvayur is connected by rail and some local passenger trains are operating from Ernakulam Junction. An overnight express also connects Guruvayur from Chennai. However, for a long distance traveler, Thrissur ( 30 KM) railway station is preferable as it is connected by direct trains from from all major cities in India. Buses and Taxis ply frequently between Thrissur and Guruvayur.
The nearest Airport is the Cochin International Airport at a distance of 87 KM ( 2 hours 30 minutes). Other Airport near Guruvayur is Calicut International Airport, Karipur. (100km).
Dress Code, Temple Customs and other Important Facts
Since Guruvayur temple adheres to very orthodox traditions and customs, it is important that you are aware of these matters concerning entering and conduct inside the temple.
1. Only Hindus are allowed inside the temple.
2. Devotees are expected to enter the temple after taking a bath and wearing clean cloths.
3. There is a strict Dress code for entering Guruvayur temple.
4. Men are required to wear white or saffron Dhoti (Mundu). Except for this and lower underwear they are not allowed to wear anything. However, they can cover their upper body with a white cloth called Veshti. There is no ban on taking off your shirt and carrying it on your arms or shoulder! Wearing Bermudas, pajamas, colorful lungis, pants, jeans and other such dresses are totally banned for men. However children are allowed to wear shorts but without covering their upper body. If you are looking for a Dhoti or Dhoti Angavastram set Click here. If you are not familiar with wearing Dhoti, you can try Readymade Dhotis
5. The rules are relaxed these days for women. They can wear sarees, mundu, blouses, long skirts and Shalwar Suits. However, women are not allowed to wear pants, jeans, western cloths or short dresses. For suitable Sarees and Salwar Suit click on the images.
6. Women devotees usually avoid entering the temple during their periods.
7. Take adequate precautions while taking small babies inside the temple so that urine or stool do not drip inside the temple. This can lead to expensive cleaning rituals.
8.. Mobiles and and remote car keys are not allowed inside the temple. Except for small purses and lady’s handbags, no bags are allowed inside the temple. These can be deposited at Cloak Rooms outside the temple. You cannot also wear any type of footwear inside the temple. Since you would be wearing a Dhoti, it would help you if you carry your wallet, money, cards, passport and valuable items in a Belt Pouch or waist bag.
9. Unless you are a VIP, you may have to wait in a queue for an average of two hours to enter the inner sanctum of the temple. However, benches are provided for you to sit while you are waiting for your turn.
10. Senior citizens and ladies are allowed inside temple in separate queues between certain timings during normal days, which can be ascertained from the temple. The queue for senior citizens and women are inside the outer enclosure.
11. Queues are meant for those who want to enter the inner sanctum of the temple. You can enter the outer enclosure of the temple through the Western entrance and also the entrance near Bhagavathy temple.
Online Services of Guruvayur Devaswom
Guruvayur Dewaswom is offering online services including Darshan, Pooja, Prasadam and accommodation facilities. To avail this you have to register in Guruvayur Dewaswom website. Click here
How to avoid the long queue
Special Darshan Facilities: You can avoid the long queue to enter the inner sanctum by buying a ticket for Neyvilakku (Srikovil Ghee Lamp) offering for Rs. 1000. This will will help you to enter the sanctum directly. Also, if you purchase a Neivilakku (Srikovil Ghee Lamp) offering ticket for Rs. 4000, you can directly enter the inner temple with another four persons. For buying the Neivilakku offering tickets, you have to enter the outer temple through the western entrance of the temple or the small entrance near the Bhagavathi temple and go to the designated counter. These can be done through Guruvayur Dewaswom Web portal also.
Where to stay in Guruvayur
You can select from different types places to stay in Guruvayur . These include lodges, hotels, dhalamshalas and guesthouses of various organizations. There are a number of star hotels also at Guruvayur which offer reservations through various online travel portals. Guruvayur is very close to Thrissur city where you can find accommodations with the luxury you can afford.
Guruvayur Devaswam also offers accommodation ranging from Rs 300 to Rs 2300. There are available at Kaustubham Rest House (Tel 0487 2556537) Panchajanyam Rest house( Tel 0487 2556535) and Srivalsam Rest House(Tel 0487 2556539). However, no online booking facilities are available at these places. You may have to send full room rent and reservation charges in advance by Demand Draft or Money order after confirmation of availability. Please refer to Guruvayur Dewaswam website for details.
Since there is heavy rush of pilgrims to the temple in all seasons, it would be better to plan your stay in Guruvayur in advance and book accordingly.
For your information: To help you purchase items you may need I have given some affiliate links. That means that I am awarded a small commission for purchases made through them, at no added cost for you.